Tuesday, May 3, 2011

GUEST BLOG: End of the Year Address

BY CARTER (THE BEST RA EVER/FUTURE SGA PRESIDENT OF APU)

1)  What is your favorite color?
-It has always been bright neon orange color. You know that color that always catches your eye and then you say in your head, "I can't handle that." I on the other hand can handle it and love it. Like the color the of the blogspot logo.
2)  Favorite meal of the day?
-Lunch by far. Lunch is the meal that is always surrounded by friends. Here at APU my friends loyally WALK it up daily. For that reason alone, I would say lunch is my favorite meal.
3)  Describe Bowles in one word.
-Spontaneous
4)  How has being an RA prepared you to be President?
-Well logistically it has helped prepare me in understanding how to work with a staff. Whether through staff development, scheduling, or administrating, being an RA challenges you work well with a staff no matter how crazy they are. Like Luke Guitierez(however you spell his spanish name). He's nuts. usually drunk.. but mostly nuts.
-I think RA has honestly prepared me relationally though. Being an RA at APU is all about knowing how to cultivate a community that encourages camaraderie. Only my residents can be the judge of how good I was at doing this, but non-the-less I feel I learned a lot about developing an environment while being an RA.
-Also I can't stress enough about how much I have learned about time management being an RA and I know I will learn even more next year as president.
5)  What is Jon Wallace like?
- Well to me, Jon is bully. He makes fun of my hair, my hometown, and my favorite sports teams to just start... Other than that though, he's a great guy. No, I really am amazed at what he does and how he does everything with so much intentionality and integrity. Jon also loves giving loooong, historical prefaces to the stories that he shares. It could be as simple as saying that the first car was built in the early 1900's, but Jon would somehow make it 10 minute history lesson. This most likely comes from Jon's love to learn and read. He reads more books than almost anyone I know, which is ridiculous when you think about it because he is also one of the busiest people I know. The last thing I will tell you about Jon is that he loves Abe Lincoln. Not totally sure why, but he has old Abe stuff all over his office. I think he tries to lead with integrity like him, and to also never stop learning. These two things I can clearly see in Jon.
6)  How do you feel about public speaking?
-Ha, I don't really like it all. I mean, I'm ok with doing it, but I rather not have so much attention on me. Yet, it's something important to be able to do, so I feel like I just have to suck it up sometimes and just do it.
7)  Do you need me and Jen to be in charge of your safety?  She’s a certified lifeguard.  And I know kickboxing…or something.
-Yes. Without a doubt.
8)  What will you miss most about just being Carter?
- This is a great question. This is one reason I am excited to live off campus in a house with just a couple of my really good friends. But honestly, other than having to be on my A game more often than now, I really hope that I will always just be Carter. That I won't ever be seen as someone other than just a regular joe from Kansas of all places and that having the position of president will only create more down to earth conversations with people rather than more professional business ones.
9)  Lastly, who are your favorite residents? 
- No comment...  (HEMEANSARANDAANDJEN)

-CARTER

No comments:

Post a Comment